The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:24am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spec&Sim driven netlist reduction (Read 106 times)
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Spec&Sim driven netlist reduction
Jun 22nd, 2005, 6:17am

We encounter massive performance problems with analog verfication. The circuits have about 100k-300k mixed devices and time separation of 2-5e4 (10GHz/2-5us). We could simulate schematic netlist but fail to simulate RC extracted. The memory goes above 2GB and simulation slows down more than 10x if it fits in 2GB.

From my understanding the main performance issue is that the RC extraction and simulation does not take into account that not every extracted component is gives a noticeable difference in simulation. Instead it crash the hole verification process and force the verification team to break down hierachy, both on extraction and simulation. That is errorprone and only useful for bottomup verfication of blocks.

The simulator provide from the schematic simulation enough information about speed of the voltages and the current flowing trough the device terminals. If these informations are used to specify the amount of RC or series R allowed to not impact the simulation result the reduction of the netlist or parameter selective extraction result in a verifyable netlist.

Is there any tool/flow which support the reduction or selective extraction?

View Profile   IP Logged
August West
Community Member

I'll get up and fly
away

Re: Spec&Sim driven netlist reduction
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2005, 6:05pm

RF Design,
It is my understanding that UltraSim internally performs reduction on the parasitics. Also, I have recently heard that Xpedion's GoldenGate can handle massive amounts of parasitics and still run efficiently. In that case, they were simulating the parasitics associated with a package, so it is a little different from the situation you describe, but it is similar.

I personally have not used either of these tools, so I cannot vouch for them.

August

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2005, 11:20pm

August,

thank's for your information. Xpedion says that they run full extrected netlist very efficient. I could ask my colleges which run an evaluation some time ago. Ultrasim does not have the specific option for reduction (doc) and it seems to me very similar to HSIM which we where using sucessful for functional verification but not to determine performance.

There are exRC netlist reduction tools but these are digital orientied.

View Profile   IP Logged
byang
Community Member

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2005, 7:28pm

rf-design,

What's the reason for you to use HSIM only for functional verification, but not for performance? Is it because you need to run a RF analysis such as Harmonic Balance or PSS?

For transient analysis, is there any accuracy issue with HSIM?

Thanks,

Baolin

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2005, 2:57am

We actual use for analog transceiver develoment

Spectre: Most analog, performance analysis up to full chip 50-200k

SpectreRF: spot performance analsysis, mainly noise

ADS: because of tuning capabilities and TL capabilities

HSIM: full chip functional verification including digital

Smash: analog and full chip mixed

Simulink: Toplevel executeable behaviour description, with low level buildings blocks for bottom up, matches VHDL-AMS

we choose these because each operate in there own class at best.

With HSIM we have problems to set up the right tolerances for all the blocks and to get matching results to Spectre. That could possible be overcome if along to the block design accuracy specification could be incooperated into the netlist design flow. But because that is not supported by AA all work have to be done by the person who actual run the verification is missing information to make the right setup. If we set all global tolerancies to be equivalent to Spectre HSIM runs slower. If we make a sim try it take a week to get reasonable results. So we are limited by verification time.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.