The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 17th, 2024, 10:31pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
standard Pnoise or strobed Pnoise (Read 11485 times)
horizon

standard Pnoise or strobed Pnoise
Feb 22nd, 2005, 2:40am

Hello everybody,
I would like to simulate the phase noise of a divider.
To have an idea of the noise at the ouput of the divider I first tried to
do a pss + pnoise simulation. Then I divide the ouput signal given from the pnoise simulation by the rms value of my output.
My signal is a square of 1,2v differential (so 2.4v pp), so the result I get  in dBc is
noise=20 log10(out/Vrms).
According to a recent message I saw on "Estimate pk-pJitter using eye diagram in Spectre" the noise I get should be higher than the noise I simulate with the Pnoise strobed analysis.

That's not the case.
in a simple test circuit
the noise with standard pnoise is -164.5dB
with the strobed Pnoise analysis the output noise I get is -147dB

to get this noise in dBc I apply the previous formula.
with standard Pnoise I have -162dBc
for the strobed analysis....
I don't know how to do ...
does somebody have an idea?

Thank you a lot.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: standard Pnoise or strobed Pnoise
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2005, 7:31am

Why is it that you believe that the time-averaged noise (standard PNoise) should be larger than the strobed noise. Presumably when using the strobed noise you would be sampling the noise at its peak.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
horizon

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2005, 8:42am

Hello Ken,
in fact, I read a reply saying that most of the time , the noise not involved directly in the jitter was dominating the measure of the standard Pnoise simulation.

here is the post :
"If you use standard PNoise rather than the strobed PNoise,
then you are including noise that occurs at times other than
when the signal is crossing its threshold. Noise produced when
the output is all the way high or all the way low does not contribute
to jitter, but often dominates the noise that standard PNoise measures."

In my case, the noise is higher with the strobed analysis...
I suppose I should take the -147dB and not the -162dB...(bad news...)
I also doing a DLL in parralel.
I measured the noise with a standard Pnoise analysis. In that case, I suppose it is a little bit different as the AM noise is also quite important. Am I wrong?
I read a post about noise simulation with DLL and the guy was using the same method as for the divider, I mean the strobe Pnoise analysis.
What is your feeling  about this ?

Thank you a lot for your time.
Have a nice day
                                   Horizon

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:09am

You are confusing continuous time noise with discrete time noise.

If you were to plot the noise power as a function of time during a cycle, you would see that the noise would peak at the transitions. So if you were to periodically sample the noise during the transition, you would be sampling at the peak, and the values in the resulting noise sequence would be large.  This is what happens when you are interested in the jitter of the transitions. In fact the jitter is equal to the values in the noise sequence divided by the slew rate of the transition.

If instead, you sampled the noise when the signal was either high or low, the noise power in the sampled sequence would be lower because there is less noise at that time.

However, if you look at the continuous time noise, you have to consider the total noise power over the cycle. Here the noise at the transition may contribute only a small amount to the total noise power because the transition only lasts for a short period of time. The power contributed while the output is stable (either high or low) might be much greater even though its amplitude is smaller because the output is stable for most of the cycle.

In your case, since your output is a digital signal, you are interested in the jitter rather than the total noise power. Indeed, this argument that the noise produced while the output is stable high or stable low dominates the total continuous time noise power can be seen as an argument as to why you must use the discrete time (or strobed) noise. Otherwise the jitter would appear to be dominated by a noise source that cannot possible contribute to jitter.

-Ken

horizon

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2005, 2:45am

Hello Ken,
Thank you a lot for your answer. I will use the strobe Pnoise analysis for my dividers.
I still don't understand something...sorry...

You wrote
> If you were to plot the noise power as a function of time during >a cycle, you would see that the noise would peak at the >transitions. So if you were to periodically sample the noise >during the transition, you would be sampling at the peak, and >the values in the resulting noise sequence would be large.

>If instead, you sampled the noise when the signal was either >high or low, the noise power in the sampled sequence would be >lower because there is less noise at that time.

So if the standard Pnoise analysis gives the average of the noise for one cycle.
if there is a peak at a specific point and then something lower, the average of the noise should be lower than the noise given by the strobed Pnoise analysis.
In the simulation it's the case.

but  you wrote
>However, if you look at the continuous time noise, you have to >consider the total noise power over the cycle. Here the noise at >the transition may contribute only a small amount to the total >noise power because the transition only lasts for a short period >of time. The power contributed while the output is stable (either >high or low) might be much greater even though its amplitude is >smaller because the output is stable for most of the cycle.

I thought the standard Pnoise analysis output was the average of the noise on one cycle ? Am I wrong ?
In the previous text I copied from your post, I understand that the standard Pnoise  output is giving the sum of the total noise and not the average.Is it the case ?
If yes, I would like to get the phase noise of my divider in dBc.
What I did is :
I took the value given by the strobed analysis and I divide it by the power of my carier.

with standard Pnoise I get -162dBc
with the strobed Pnoise I get  -144.5dBc
The is an huge difference, but I suppose I should take into account the -144.5dBc.

Than you again a lot for your time.
                       Horizon

View Profile   IP Logged
ic_engr

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2005, 7:17am

In the strobed noise analysis did you add the specific point in the Pnoise form. This is the time point that you should in the form. The time point is the midpoint of the edge. So plot the pss-td output after you run a pss simulation. Look in the plot and measure the timepoint where you see the rising edge e.g. Specify that timepoint and rerun pss and pnoise (strobed). Now when you plot the noise or calculate it will be the noise you want.

If you dont add the specific time point then spectreRF may report you noise while the signal is either high or low. You can see by plotting the pss-td output. What is the signal level at time=0. Is it High or low or is it an edge. If its is high or low, then you will get lower noise. What you really want is for Spectre to compute at the threshold crossing. This crossing point has to be manually enetered by you looking at the pss-td plot the time where you see the edge choose the midpoint.

Mkae sure when you run the pss and strobed noise the final time dont change any settings of the pss form.

This may be the cause.

ic_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2005, 7:15pm

Horizon,
     When referring to power, the total power and the average power are the same thing. They both represent the total energy delivered over the length of a cycle divided by the length of the cycle.

-Ken

horizon

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2005, 8:25am

Hello again ...:o)
I think everything is clear.
The only think that is still a problem for me is :
When I do a strobed Pnoise with 10 points + the specific point a the threshold , the curves I get are all  above -155dB
When I do a standard Pnoise , the output is at -164.5dB...
How can I Obtain one result with the other.
How can I get -164.5dB with curves above -155dB ?

Have a nice day
             Horizon

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Chan

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2005, 5:26pm

Hi Everyone,

I am a new user to the STROBED PNOISE function. The posts on this thread are very helpful. The problem I've been having with this is simply getting pnoise to simulate the noise at the right points. In the pnoise form, I specifically add the threshold crossing points but when I plot the results, those specified points never get added. The timeindex for each point always starts at 0 (and so on) but never include my points. Does anyone know why that is?

Thank you in advance for any responses.

IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2005, 12:32am

You are probably seeing a bug that exists in older versions of SpectreRF, see http://www.designers-guide.com/Forum/?board=jitter;action=display;num=1106880836....

Andrew Chan

Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2005, 4:39pm

Frank, thank you very much for your helpful response. We'll update our software and try again.

-Andrew.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.