The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 20th, 2024, 5:23am
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
phase noise of ring oscillator using spectre (Read 781 times)
kuolance

phase noise of ring oscillator using spectre
Apr 15th, 2003, 8:56pm

Hi All,

I'm using spectre to estimate the phase noise of my ring oscillator. The results I got was +90 dBc/Hz at 1 Hz offset and -70 dBc/Hz at 1MHz offset. I'm not sure how to interpret the result. Is it possible to get a positive dBc/Hz for phase noise? Shouldn't phase noise be 0 dBc/Hz maximum? Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

kuolance

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: phase noise of ring oscillator using spectre
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2003, 12:38am

While the phase deviation of a noisy free-running oscillator will indeed grow without bound over time, the voltage deviation of course will not. This, however, is a nonlinear effect that is not taken into account when SpectreRF presents its results.

You can find the solution to your problem in equations (24) and (26) of Ken's paper "Predicting the phase noise and jitter of PLL-based frequency synthesizers" (http://www.designers-guide.com/Analysis/PLLnoise+jitter.pdf). SpectreRF presents the approximation according to equation (26), the real result, however, is given by equation (24).

By the way, the integral over equation (24) from -infinity to +infinity is always equal to 1. This means that the total power of the oscillator signal remains constant, it is only spread over a wider frequency range when there is more phase noise.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Tommy

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2005, 8:57pm

Thanks Frank,
So If I have followed you correctly, By plotting eqn 26 from Spectre, I will end-up with a quantity which has the dimiensions of (rad*V)**2/Hz.
Or am I making a mistake here

Thanks
Tommy

IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2005, 11:51pm

You can see the dimension of L in equation (22) where it is defined. Sv is in V2/Hz (see footnote 5), a1 and b1 are in V (see equation (23)). So you have (V2/Hz)/V2 or 1/Hz.

tommy

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2005, 11:59pm

Guess Iam little confused now.

The dimensions of Sphi(delta-f) is rad**2/Hz.

So does eqn27 mean only a numerical equality & not dimensional?

Thanks
Tommy

IP Logged
tommy

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2005, 12:38am

I got the answer to my above question from "phase noise or L" thread.
http://www.designers-guide.com/Forum/?board=jitter;action=display;num=1036525104...

Spectre plots oscillator-phase-noise in dBc/Hz. To plot this curve in rad**2/Hz, I need to multiply the
10**(phasenoise(in_dbc/Hz) / 10.0) with the carrier power.(assuming that phase-nosie button in analog artist considers the Carrier power while plotting it in dBc/Hz)

PSS analysis gives the carrier power in V**2. If I multiply with this value with 10**(phasenoise(in_dbc/Hz) / 10.0), I will be left with the dimensions of Sphi as (rad*V)**2/Hz.

Or am I wrong somewhere?

Thanks
Tommy

IP Logged
Tommy

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2005, 1:01am

AAh,
I think I can answer my own question  ;D

The phase-noise button plots with the dimensions dBc/Hz (or 1/Hz in a non-log scale). Multiply this with the carrier power leaves us with the dimensions of V**2/Hz. Using eqn 27, this is equated to the phase noise with the dimensions of rad**2/Hz.

Thanks
Tommy

IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2005, 11:29pm

Equation (27) equates L in (V2/Hz)/V2 (or 1/Hz) with the phase noise in rad2/Hz (or 1/Hz), so the dimensions are ok. Remember that rad is a dimensionless quantity (arc length divided by radius).

Tommy

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2005, 12:30am

Thanks a lot Frank for clearing up.

IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2009, 1:04am

Hello all,
              I am sorry for bringing up this thread again...I dug up into some of the old posts including http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1102124964/0

.....Now point is -- i understand that cadence uses the approximation of cfo2/Δf2 as indicated in eq. 26 in Ken's paper -- http://www.designers-guide.com/Analysis/PLLnoise+jitter.pdf

Also i do understand that total power is constant, it's just that it's distributed over the spectrum....

BUT, Frank pointed out a way of obtaining correct plots by using eq. 24 instead of cadence's default eq 26....Can someone elaborate how exactly can i obtain a plot of eq. 24 from cadence ???

--expecting some help from big simulator gurus.....

-thanx in advance,
mayank

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #10 - Nov 23rd, 2009, 1:13am

Mayank wrote on Nov 23rd, 2009, 1:04am:
BUT, Frank pointed out a way of obtaining correct plots by using eq. 24
instead of cadence's default eq 26....
Can someone elaborate how exactly can i obtain a plot of eq. 24 from cadence ???
I can't understand meaning of your questions.
Please explain in detail with correct terminologies.

There is no tool which name is Cadence.

See
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1241894034
http://www.cadence.com/community/forums/T/12466.aspx

EDA Tool Play is no more than Tool Play.
There is nothing superior to the actual measurement using actual instruments.

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #11 - Nov 23rd, 2009, 3:01am

Hello Pancho & everyone,
  My Problem :-- I am getting +ve values of Phase Noise plot ( i.e. > 0 dBc )  that i obtain from pss/pnoise analysis using spectre(MMSIM7.0) in cadence Analog Design Environment. The ckt is a 10-stage single-ended Ring Oscilllator.                

My Question :--  How to get correct Phase Noise plot ??

My Analysis :--
  I went through the following threads :--
1. http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1102124964/0
2. http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1241894034
3. This thread itself.

In thread 1, Ken explains that > 0dBc plot is because spectre,like almost every other simulator, uses small-signal approximation.

In thread 3/this thread, Frank, in relation to Ken's paper   --  http://www.designers-guide.com/Analysis/PLLnoise+jitter.pdf   explains that --   Quote:
SpectreRF presents the approximation according to equation (26), the real result, however, is given by equation (24).

I want to know how to backcalculate the data required in eq. 24 from the standard outputs in cadence's spectreRF, and then apply equation 24 on that data,  & obtain actual and correct plot ??

& btw, i read the 2nd thread that you posted -- http://www.cadence.com/community/forums/T/12466.aspx ---says MMSIM7.1 has it fixed in HB/HBpnoise analysis of spectreRF.....dnt have the new updated version.....But it would be helpful if i could obtain it in this version of spectreRF through backcalculations...

seeking help,
mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #12 - Nov 23rd, 2009, 3:09am

Mayank wrote on Nov 23rd, 2009, 3:01am:
My Problem :-- I am getting +ve values of Phase Noise plot ( i.e. > 0 dBc )
What is "+ve" ?                

Quote:
SpectreRF presents the approximation according to equation (26), the real result, however, is given by equation (24).
I want to know how to backcalculate the data required in eq. 24
from the standard outputs in cadence's spectreRF,
and then apply equation 24 on that data,  
& obtain actual and correct plot ??

Again seen http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1244213153/6#6

If Cadence Spectre's results could be reasonable,
Lssb(f) has to follow eq.(24), while SΦ(f) follow eq.(26).

http://www.cadence.com/community/forums/T/12466.aspx ---says MMSIM7.1 has it fixed in HB/HBpnoise analysis of spectreRF.....dnt have the new updated version.....
But it would be helpful if i could obtain it in this version of spectreRF through backcalculations...
What do you mean by backcalculations ?
Do you mean "Post Processing" ?

Have "Augmented Pnoise of Cadence Spectre" come to be reliable ?

Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #13 - Nov 23rd, 2009, 4:03am

hello Pancho,
                   i was always a big fan of the very particular post u just pointed out to on the other thread....It was very clear & exhaustive....Coming back to this,

By +ve, as i already indicated in the statement, i meant  value of pnoise plot > 0 dBc at some offsets below linewidth frequency.

By backcalculations, i meant how to calculate Sv, fourier coeffs a1 & b1, or how to calculate c so that i can use eqns. 22 & 24

As from your post which you just pointed, you said   Quote:
LSSB(f) is small signal mixing noise, that is, sideband noise which include both AM and PM noises.
LSSB(f) is composed of LLSB(f) and LUSB(f).
They are not equal. But they are almost same.

What exactly did you mean by composed of ? Is it the equal to  (LUSB + LLSB) / 2  or just the summation ??  

And you said,
Quote:
In Cadence Spectre Pnoise Analysis,

For noisetype="sources",
you can get Phase Noise in "pnoise of Direct Plot Form" as LUSB(f) if you use postive offset frequency value.

For noisetype="jitter" or "modulated",
you can get  LLSB(f), LUSB(f), AM noise, PM noise in "pnoise modulated of Direct Plot Form",
and also you can get Phase Noise in "pnoise jitter of Direct Plot Form" as true SΦ(f).

How do i obtain LSSB plot from cadence which will follow eq. 24 not eq 26 ???

& Augmented HB-PSS/PNOISE with Oversampling factor=10 is giving me phase noise plot with a FLAT SPECTRUM uptil Linewidth frequency.... Is is CORRECT ??

--mayank

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #14 - Nov 23rd, 2009, 4:15am

Cadence Spectre has not been able to calculate phase noise correctly for long time.

Papers you see were written first in such days when Cadence Spectre didn't have HB Analysis
and didn't have ability to calculate PM and AM noise separately.
Of course Cadence Spectre didn't have Augmented option in Pnoise.

Also it seems still an augmented option can not show effect for Shooting-PSS.

Mayank wrote on Nov 23rd, 2009, 4:03am:
What exactly did you mean by composed of ?
Is it the equal to  (LUSB + LLSB) / 2  or just the summation ??
Neither.

Consider actual Spectrum around Carrier. LSSB(f) is completely different from SΦ(f).
I mean
    LSSB(f)=LLSB(f) for lower frequency than carrier.
    LSSB(f)=LUSB(f) for upper frequency than carrier.

& Augmented HB-PSS/PNOISE with Oversampling factor=10 is giving me phase noise plot with a FLAT SPECTRUM uptil Linewidth frequency.... Is is CORRECT ??
If Cadence Spectre is reasonable, it is LSSB(f) which follows eq.24.

By +ve, as i already indicated in the statement, i meant value of pnoise plot > 0 dBc at some offsets below linewidth frequency.
I don't think "+ve" is common expression which everyone can understand.

« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2009, 6:35am by pancho_hideboo »  
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.